Posted on March 26th, 2010 No comments
It’s spring and the sap is running! Maple sugaring time in New Hampshire runs from mid-February to mid-April, and this weekend, March 27-28, marks the 15th year of New Hampshire Maple Weekend. On Saturday and Sunday, sugar houses across the state will welcome visitors to taste free samples, eat a pancake breakfast, take a horse-drawn ride, help with sap collecting, and enjoy all kinds of entertainment.
At Kulharic Farm in Meredith, NH, Camp Maple will be serving homemade French crepes drizzled with fresh syrup, as well as doughnuts and coffee. If there is fresh snow, a special treat of maple sugar on snow will be offered. In nearby Gilford, NH, Bolduc Sugar House and Smith Farm Stand will both be hosting tours of their sap houses with demonstrations and refreshments.
Here are some maple syrup facts:
- It takes 30-50 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.
- Maple syrup is boiled even further to produce maple cream, maple sugar, and maple candy.
- It takes one gallon of maple syrup to produce eight pounds of maple candy or sugar
- A gallon of maple syrup weighs 11 pounds.
- The sugar content of sap averages 2.5 percent; sugar content of maple syrup is at least 66 percent or more.
- Usually a maple tree is at least 30 years old and 12 inches in diameter before it is tapped.
- As the tree increases in diameter, more taps can be added – up to a maximum of four taps.
- Tapping does no permanent damage and only 10 percent of the sap is collected each year. Many maple trees have been tapped for 150 or more years.
- Each tap will yield an average of 10 gallons of sap per season, producing about one quart of syrup.
- The maple season may last eight to 10 weeks, but sap flow is heaviest for about 10-20 days in the early spring.
Celebrate this New Hampshire tradition by visiting a sugar house in your area, or head up to our neck of the woods for some local flavor!Sources: http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/
Photo Credit: r_gallant at Flickr.com
Posted on March 19th, 2010 No comments
Come enjoy a beautiful Easter Weekend at this lakeside resort. On Sunday, April 4th, The Inns and Spa at Mill Falls will be hosting Easter Brunch in the Winnipesaukee Ballroom at Church Landing, with a decadent buffet provided by The Lakehouse Grille.
On the menu for the Brunch are such goodies as Fresh Cut Fruit, Breakfast Pastries, and House-Cured Salmon with assorted Mustard Sauces. There will be a carving station with Honey-Glazed Roasted Ham with Pineapple Raisin Sauce and Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb with Mint-Infused Demi-glace, as well as a Waffle station with assorted toppings. Also available will be Baked Haddock, Pan-Roasted Chicken, and various side dishes. Children will also be able to choose Chicken Fingers or Creamy Common Man Mac and Cheese. For dessert, guests can enjoy assorted Cakes and Finger Pastries with our Famous Chocolate Fountain with a Variety of Dipping Sweets!
In the true spirit of a community meal, seating will be at tables of 8 to 10 guests, thus smaller parties will be able to dine with others and share in the experience of the day. There will also be a professional photographer available nearby in the Chris Craft Room for those interested in having a family portrait taken. The photos will be printed within 30 minutes so guests can take their keepsake home with them.
Easter Brunch will be served from 10:30 – 4:30, and The Lakehouse Grille will then reopen for regular dinner service at 4:00, as they will not be open for the usual Sunday brunch or lunch. The Inns are now taking reservations for this special event, which can be made directly through the Lakehouse Grille at 279-5221. There is also of rooms available at all of the Inns that weekend, so gather up the family and spend some quality time together in quaint Meredith Village while welcoming the return of spring!
Posted on March 17th, 2010 2 comments
Back in the mid-1980s, The Inn at Mill Falls opened its doors and began its journey to help transform the sleepy town of Meredith from a run-down mill town into a revitalized and successful resort village, all while maintaining the charm and character of this old New England lakeside destination. To celebrate this remarkable achievement, the Inns and Spa at Mill Falls is thanking its friends and guests, who helped make it all possible, by giving away four fabulous 25th anniversary packages over the course of this year.
Each Great Anniversary Giveaway package will include a two-night stay at the Inn with breakfast each morning at the Waterfall Café. Also included in the package will be over $175 worth of gift cards for the shops and restaurants at the Mill Falls Marketplace. The first drawing is taking place in March, so if you haven’t entered yet, now is the time!
Posted on March 4th, 2010 No comments
March is the month of melting snow, longer days, and a glimmer of spring in the air. New life is beginning to stir, and with it, our spirits awaken. This is the time of romance and fresh starts. Now is the time to grab your sweetie and get away for a little time to connect and relax in a quiet setting with a cozy village at your door. The Inns and Spa at Mill Falls are offering an irresistible deal that makes it easy…
For $99, you and a guest will enjoy:
- 1-night at the Inn at Mill Falls
- A $25 spa credit towards spa services
- 2 entrees for the price of one for Lunch AND Dinner at participating restaurants
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- Mill Falls Marketplace discount coupon book
- 20% off Company Store purchases
For an additional $50 you can upgrade to a lake-view room, or for $80 more indulge in a lake-view room with a whirlpool bath and a fireplace. What a way to experience the luxury and amenities of the Mill Falls without spending a fortune! For details visit http://millfalls.com/innsider/issue.php or call reservations at 800-622-6455 and ask about the Travel NOW offer. You deserve it.