Celebrate Maple Weekend in New Hampshire!Posted on March 26th, 2010 No comments
It’s spring and the sap is running! Maple sugaring time in New Hampshire runs from mid-February to mid-April, and this weekend, March 27-28, marks the 15th year of New Hampshire Maple Weekend. On Saturday and Sunday, sugar houses across the state will welcome visitors to taste free samples, eat a pancake breakfast, take a horse-drawn ride, help with sap collecting, and enjoy all kinds of entertainment.
At Kulharic Farm in Meredith, NH, Camp Maple will be serving homemade French crepes drizzled with fresh syrup, as well as doughnuts and coffee. If there is fresh snow, a special treat of maple sugar on snow will be offered. In nearby Gilford, NH, Bolduc Sugar House and Smith Farm Stand will both be hosting tours of their sap houses with demonstrations and refreshments.
Here are some maple syrup facts:
- It takes 30-50 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup.
- Maple syrup is boiled even further to produce maple cream, maple sugar, and maple candy.
- It takes one gallon of maple syrup to produce eight pounds of maple candy or sugar
- A gallon of maple syrup weighs 11 pounds.
- The sugar content of sap averages 2.5 percent; sugar content of maple syrup is at least 66 percent or more.
- Usually a maple tree is at least 30 years old and 12 inches in diameter before it is tapped.
- As the tree increases in diameter, more taps can be added – up to a maximum of four taps.
- Tapping does no permanent damage and only 10 percent of the sap is collected each year. Many maple trees have been tapped for 150 or more years.
- Each tap will yield an average of 10 gallons of sap per season, producing about one quart of syrup.
- The maple season may last eight to 10 weeks, but sap flow is heaviest for about 10-20 days in the early spring.
Celebrate this New Hampshire tradition by visiting a sugar house in your area, or head up to our neck of the woods for some local flavor!Sources: http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/
Photo Credit: r_gallant at Flickr.comGilford, Local Events, Meredith, New Hampshire Events and Activities Events, Gilford, maple syrup, Maple Weekend, Meredith
Leave a reply